Bhai Dooj Recipes
Pineapple and Mango Salad
|Pineapple and Mango Salad
- 4 cups mixed fruits chopped (pineapple, mango, apple and green or black grapes depending on availability)
- 4 tablespoons grated coconut
- 2 dry red chilli(es)
- 1 teaspoon(s) mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon(s) sugar or as per taste
- salt to taste
Mix the sugar into the chopped fruits and keep aside.
Grind the coconut with the red chilli(es) and a little water. When almost done, add the mustard seeds. Grind for a few more seconds till the mustard seeds are crushed.
Add the coconut paste to the fruits with salt and mix well.
- 200 grams (about 8 oz.) cottage cheese cut into (1/2") cubes
- 2 green bell pepper(s) cut into long thin strips
- 4 flakes garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoon(s) oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) each of red chilli, coriander and hot spice mix (garam masala) powders
- 8 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt and sugar to taste
Heat oil and garlic on medium level in a pan for about 2 minute(s). Add green bell pepper strips and stir fry on high heat for a few seconds.
Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala (optional) powder, tomato puree, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cook on medium heat uncovered for about 3 minute(s).
Add cottage cheese. Mix well and keep aside. Just before serving, heat on medium level covered for 3 minute(s).
Cumin Rice (Jeera Chawal)
|Cumin Rice (Jeera Chawal)
- 2 cup(s) uncooked long grain rice (called Basmati rice in India)
- 2 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter or ghee (clarified butter)
- 4 cups water
- salt and a dash of lime juice to taste
Heat butter / ghee (clarified butter) on medium level in a large heavy-bottomed vessel for about 2 minute(s).
Add the cumin seeds and fry for 2 minute(s) till the seeds splutter.
Add the rice, lime juice, water and salt. Mix well. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat and cook covered on low level for 15 minutes till all water evaporates.
Potatoes with Poppy Seeds (Aloo Poshto)
- 6 big potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoon(s) poppy seeds (khus khus) roasted
- 3 whole dry red chilli(es)
- 3 green chilli(es)
- ½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoon(s) oil
- ½ cup(s) water
- salt to taste
- chopped fresh coriander to garnish
Grind the roasted poppy seeds along with the green chilli(es) and a few tablespoons of water to a very fine paste. Keep aside. Heat half of the oil in a pan for 2 minute(s) till very hot. Shallow fry the cubed potatoes in batches on medium heat till they are lightly browned. Drain on a paper towel and keep aside.
Now, heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the whole dry red chilli(es) and turmeric powder. Fry briefly. To this, add the poppy seed paste and fry again on medium / low heat for 5 minutes till the oil has left the sides of the pan.
Add now the fried potato cubes and mix well. Add water and salt. Stir, cover and keep on low heat for 15 minutes till the potatoes are soft.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander