New Year Parades
New Year's Parade is observed in several countries across the world. However, nothing beats the gaiety and enthusiasm of New Year's Day Parade as seen in London and San Francisco. Given here is a glimpse of the vibrant colors of New Year's Parade of London and New Year Parade in Chinatown. Enjoy!!
New Year's Day Parade of London
The New Year's Day Parade of London is an immensely popular and highly participated colorful event. The annual parade is being held since 1987 and has grown in popularity over the years. More than 10,000 performers participate in the parade and it takes more than 2 hours for the full parade to pass by. The event is internationally popular and people from US, Japan, South Africa and the Caribbean come to be a part of gala London New Year Parade. Some of the most attractive feature of New Year's Day parade have been mentioned below.
New Year Parade in Chinatown
- The Parade is made lively by the active participation of marching bands and cheerleaders from countries across the globe.
- The giant balloons and inflatables ranging from Noddy to Buddy and other cartoon characters are the most attractive feature of the parade for the kids.
- Many different cultures are represented in the London New Year Parade. From Indian, to Red Indian, to West Indian, Chinese dragons and dancers etc.
- Various means of transport including horses, elephants, are also displayed in the parade.
- The music band wishes Happy New Year to the crowd which line up the entire route of the Parade.
- Collectors along the route accept voluntary donations from the onlookers and help raise money for various charities.
- Corporate sector utilizes the popularity of the extravagant parade by running a rigorous advertising campaign along the parade route.
Scintillating Chinese New Year Parade in San Francisco is ranked one of the top ten parades in the world.
Brief History of the Chinese New Year Parade
In 1849, with the discovery of gold and the ensuing California Gold Rush, along with others many Chinese came to San Francisco to seek a better way of life. By the 1860's, the Chinese were eager to share their culture with those who were unfamiliar with it. They chose favorite American tradition - the Parade to showcase their culture. Nothing like it had ever been done in their native China. They invited a variety of other groups from the city to participate, and they marched down carrying colorful flags, banners, lanterns, and drums and firecrackers to drive away evil spirits.
Attractions of Chinese New Year Parade
Over the years, the Parade has grown to be the largest celebration of Asian culture outside of Asia. High points of Chinese New Year Parade include:
- The Parade is made colorful through gorgeous floats, elaborate costumes, ferocious lions, firecrackers, Chinese acrobatics and of course the newly crowned Miss Chinatown U.S.A. and her court.
- A crowd favorite is the spectacular 201 Golden Dragon (Gum Lung). It takes a team of over 100 men and women from the martial arts group, to carry this dragon throughout the streets of San Francisco.
- The parade also features the current year's Chinese zodiac sign.
- Thousands of onlookers come to participate in the electrifying parade which is widely covered by the media.